ADBU (Sonapur): Greetings from International Student Volunteer Exchange Programme, 2017 Team, ADBU, Sonapur.
This is in continuation of the updates that we have been sharing with you all on the International Student Volunteer Exchange Programme 2017 which is being collaboratively implemented by Assam Don Bosco University (ADBU), India and University College Dublin Volunteers Overseas (UCDVO), Ireland in the villages of Sonapur. The programme started on 9th June and will conclude on 8th July 2017.
The programme comprises of 15 Indian and 16 Irish volunteers accompanied by team leaders and faculty members.
The objectives are –
- To channel the skills, energy and enthusiasm of university students into projects which enhance the development of marginalised and underprivileged communities.
- To create space and opportunity for university students from ADBU, India and University College Dublin (UCD) Ireland to share learning and experience in the areas of participatory community development and social outreach.
- To enhance intercultural awareness between students and communities for the purpose of increasing global solidarity and interconnectedness.
- To promote attitude of appreciation for other cultures, practices, and traditions.
As we are in the last week of the programme I would like to give out the schedule an invite you all for the village community days that the student volunteers are going to organise in different villages on different days and also for the closing ceremony on 7th July 2017 in ADBU, Sonapur Campus. The programme details are given below –
Community Day Celebrations (respective villages)
- Patarkuchi , 4th July 2017, at 10.00 am (near Club House)
- Upper Tapesia, 4th July 2017, at 2.00 pm (in LP School)
- Hatimurah, 6th July 2017, at 10 am (near Anganwadi Center)
- Goriyaguli, 6th July 2017, at 10 am (in LP School)
Closing Ceremony at ADBU Sonapur Campus
7th July 2017, at 1.30 pm, (Academic Building, ADBU, Sonapur)
*Kindly note that the community programmes in villages are generally flexible in time.
Some activities carried out till date (2nd July 2017)
- Renovated four anganwadi centers
- Installation of a drinking water pump
- Workshops on – education, health & hygiene, language enhancement, adult literacy, women empowerment, domestic violence etc…
- Staged street plays – education, health, domestic violence and land issues
- Workshops on street play and grassroots comics for volunteers etc….
- Games and sports – children, women and youth